Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Yari Master

Recently Antoine related a tale to me of two players taking the Yari Master talent. Apparently these players found that it's particularly useful to perform a Show Off action in conjunction with their attack.

That's a problem.

It's not a problem because it's powerful. I want the talents to be powerful. It's a problem because it's boring. It encourages the Yari Master characters to be islands of efficiency instead of part of a team. That sucks. It also sucks because it lets players make a big-assed attack all by their lonesome on their very first turn. The monsters don't even get a chance to be all scary!

In the next iteration of the rules, that version of Yari Master will be gone. This is what I'm considering replacing it with:

Yari Master
When your character makes an attack with a reach weapon you may immediately make an additional free attack with that same weapon against another target. If your second attack is successful you may make a third attack, and so on. However, you may not attack the same target twice in the same action. Once you miss or are out of targets, you're done.


I'm still scratching my chin over the awesomeness of this version. Will it be cool or will it suck when the yari master character kills off an entire arena's worth of mooks in one turn? Playtesting will tell.

Edit:

Changed my mind!

After a couple hours of contemplation, I decided that the new Yari Master ability sucks. Sucks bad. I can name at least two good reasons why it should be tossed right now. Instead, I offer you yet another version of the same talent.

Yari Master
When you attack with a reach weapon you may make two attacks instead of one.

Very simple and to the point.

3 comments:

Ry St said...

The one after the edit is way better.

Piers said...

Makes me want to play a Double Snake character:

L1: Yari Master
L2: Mighty Grip
L3: Homunculus
L4: Armour of Scars

Each Power except for the last doubles the basic damage the character can do in a combat round. A pair of 4hp Snakes with Uber Armour, each doing 4hp a round is pretty scary.

I also like the fact that RBH makes me think this way sometimes.

Jeremiah said...

What about allowing the Yari master to treat an additional arena type as a favored one, rather than extra attacks? When I play, I find that the spear wielding dudes always describe a "flurry of blows" anyway.

A thought.